“President Pranab Mukherjee has approved his appointment. The government will notify his appointment in a day or two”,states the report.
He will replace Mukul Rohatgi . In the first week of June, the Appoint Committee of the Union Cabinet had approved the extension of the term of of the Law Officers including the Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi, Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar and Additional Solicitor Generals until further orders. But Rohatgi informed the Government that he is not interested in the extension of his tenure as Attorney General.
Article 76 deals with Attorney General For India. It reads as follows;
76. Attorney General for India
(1) The President shall appoint a person who is qualified to be appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court to be Attorney General for India
(2) it shall be the duty of the Attorney General to give advice to the Government of India upon such legal matters, and to perform such other duties of a legal character, as may from time to time be referred or assigned to him by the President, and to discharge the functions conferred on him by or under this Constitution or any other law for the time being in force
(3) In the performance of his duties the Attorney General shall have right of audience in all courts in the territory of India
(4) The Attorney General shall hold office during the pleasure of the President, and shall receive such remuneration as the President may determine Conduct of Government Business