Dr. Oliver Massmann is an International Attorney at Law and a Financial Accountant and Auditor. Dr. Oliver Massmann received his PhD with Major in International Business Law from the European Global School in Paris. Dr. Massmann has over 20 years experience working as commercial lawyer in Vietnam.
Dr. Massmann is fluent in Vietnamese language, negotiation and presentation level.
Dr. Massmann practices in the area of corporate international taxation and on power/water projects, matters related to oil and gas companies and telecoms, privatization and equitization, mergers and acquisitions, and general commercial matters for multinational clients in relation to investment and doing business in Vietnam. He has been awarded "Leading Lawyer" in Mergers and Acquisitions in Vietnam by LEGAL 500 for the last four years in a row.
Dr. Massmann is the only foreign lawyer as Member to the Supervisory Board of PetroVietnam Insurance Corporation, Vietnam's largest industrial insurer.
Dr. Massmann is currently working on several investment projects as well as taxation matters and advising the Ministry of Electrical Power on building the power generation infrastructure in Myanmar. The National Assembly of Vietnam invited Dr. Oliver Massmann to present on the Impact of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement on Vietnam, June 2016.
Dr. Oliver Massmann is the first foreigner ever to present in Vietnamese language to Members of the National Assembly of Vietnam. Dr. Massmann is registered Arbitrator of the Vietnam International Arbitration Centre (The VIAC). He is the only foreign lawyer in Vietnam who is presenting to the National Assembly of Vietnam in Vietnamese language and teaching International law in Vietnamese language at the Ministry of Justice in Hanoi. DM3\4445450.1
Dr. Massmann is holding a German Judge Degree. He has worked as arbitrator in International Arbitration and Mediation centers in Asia and Europe during the last 20 years. Dr. Massmann has represented many client in arbitration proceedings and Disputes in these Arbitration centers.
Dr. Massmann is a 1994 graduate of Bochum Law University, first state exam and Ministry of Justice, Duesseldorf Germany, second state exam 1997. He is holding a LLM degree in international taxation from St. Thomas University Florida- United State of America. He is certified as International Financial Accountant and Auditor by College of Birmingham. He is admitted to the Bar Association in Berlin and a licensed foreign lawyer in Vietnam.
1. Advising one of the leading multi-channel operators and movie companies in the United States, with investment in Vietnam with the purchase of shares in a Vietnamese media company to form a joint venture in the move/TV sectors. This is the first-ever media joint venture deal for Vietnam’s media sector, with broad cooperation business lines after Vietnam’s accession to the WTO.
2. Advising an international group in one of the biggest M&A transaction in pharmaceutical sector in Vietnam in 2017 in terms of deal values;
3. Advising an international group on all related legal aspects of Merger and Antitrust laws in Vietnam for worldwide merger of largest agriculture companies on earth.
4. Advising developer and investor on the preparation of all project related agreements from the perspective of tax, insurance and corporate law. The developer has plans to build and DM3\4445450.1 operate six solar power plants in Myanmar with a combined power generation output of 420MW.
5. Representing an EPC provider for turn-key solar PV power plants based in Germany, in establishing a commercial presence in Vietnam and implementing Solar Power Plant projects.
6. Advise and assist a leading worldwide Renewable Developer in structuring its renewable energy investment in Vietnam market.
7. Advising a Czech Republic client the necessary steps for establishment and relevant tax and labor issues and project documents, PPA etc in order to develop solar power projects here.
8. Advising and assisting one of the leading manufacturers of extruded aluminium profiles. Our advice cover the proposal to re-structure its investment in Vietnam and exit the joint venture as practical as possible.
9. Advise and assist a Singapore–based company to unify and re-shape the market of luxurious watches and clocks in Vietnam. We help them to achieve this objective via a series of M&A and asset acquisition transaction. Advising an European E-commerce company on establishing the entity and legal structure· for E-Commerce business and investing in Blockchain Technology in Vietnam.
10. Representing a Swiss medical market expansion services provider in the expanse of its business in Vietnam in the sector of wholesale medical equipment and materials via the acquisition of a local company. Representing an Italian developer and private IPP operator concerning the regulatory framework and issues related to setting up a long-term joint-venture, as well as implementation of solar power projects in Vietnam.
11. Representing Greencells Group, an EPC provider for turn-key solar PV power plants based in Germany, in establishing a commercial presence in Vietnam and implementing Solar Power Plant projects.
12. Representing PROLiGNIS Energie Consulting GmbH on Vietnam's first large-scale biomass power plant project. Representing EAB New Energy GmbH, one of the largest wind energy developing companies in Germany, concerning a Power Purchase Agreement for a wind power project in Vietnam, the "Mui Dinh wind project," with a total investment value of $100 million. The agreement signed with Vietnam Electricity Corporation (EVN) is the first for a privately financed Wind Power Project in Vietnam.
13. Advised an international shipyard group in expanding its Asia-wide investment project related to acquisitions, the purchase of a shipyard, the opening of a central warehouse and establishing multiple joint ventures.
14. Advised an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with regard to a wind energy and renewable energy project supported by the German ministry of environment (BMU) and conducted in cooperation with the Ministry of Industry and Trade in Vietnam (MOIT), in particular with regard to introduction of a new law promoting renewable energy projects in Vietnam.
15. Advised German subcontractor in relation to work on Dai Ninh hydropower project. Acted for German waste to energy company in connection with its plans to construct and· operate a municipal solid waste to energy facility in Vietnam with total investment of approximately US$500 million.
16. Advised major US contractor in connection with provision of technical services to 750MW coal-fired power plant in Quang Ninh province. DM3\4445450.1
17. Acting for property developer in relation to US$ 200 million closed-end property development fund. Acting for investors in relation to resort property development projects throughout Vietnam.
18. Acting for Major US investment house in relation to mixed-use property development project in Ho Chi Minh City. Acting for Malaysian investor in relation to US$5 billion residential and tourism development project.
19. Privatization projects for East German state-owned companies in the construction industry and heavy industry sector, drafting an equitization manual for the Vietnam Ministry of Finance, authorizing a report on Hungarian and Chinese privatization methods for a UNDP/Ministry of Finance privatization project in Vietnam and consulting on privatization and initial public offerings in relation to Vietnamese state-owned enterprises as part of an ADB project.
20. Successfully concluded negotiations for the construction contract for Vietnam's first buildoperate-transfer (BOT) power plant in Vietnam with investment volume of about US$400 million.
21. Advised and assisted a cement plant project in Vietnam with the total value of US$90,000,000.
22. Advised on establishing a hospital in Vietnam for a US-registered non-profit organization. Provided legal analysis for an insurance underwriter of project documents (BOT Agreement, Power Purchase Agreement, Gas Supply Agreement, Water Supply Agreement, Government Guarantee, etc.) with regard to a political risk insurance cover for a BOT power project in Vietnam.
23. Assisted with the transfer of legal capital in a significant joint venture company in fiber optic production in Vietnam.
24. Advised on intended sale of interest in an industry gas joint venture company in Vietnam and the disposition of its enterprise with 100% foreign-owned capital in Vietnam.
25. Acted for Austrian consortium on a water-quality improvement project in Hanoi with advice on structuring water treatment project and establishing investment vehicle.
26. Advised on a project regarding release of debenture and joint venture transaction for a building in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
27. Acted as leading attorney in advising and assisting the foreign contractor with all aspect of planning and implementing a cement plant in Vietnam.